On September 22, 1931, under the leadership of Pastor Thomas Knudson (serving 1931‑34), our church incorporated as the North Detroit Baptist Tabernacle. Since that time, the church has been blessed with a rich heritage of godly leaders.
In 1934, the church changed its name to North Detroit Baptist Church, and, in the same year, called John Hopkins (serving 1934-44) to be its pastor. Under his leadership, the church experienced rapid growth. Pastor Hopkins also led the way for the youth to be much more involved in the church.
In 1945, the church called Pastor John Hunter (serving 1945-55). This young Scotsman with a thick brogue held the congregation’s attention with his riveting preaching. Pastor Hunter’s commitment to strong preaching encouraged the church to grow spiritually, as he promised “he would never stop preaching; he would die with his boots on.”
When the church was looking for another pastor in 1956, it did not need to look beyond the congregation. Pastor Buel Eldridge (serving 1956-74) had already been a fervent evangelist in North Detroit Baptist Church for many years when he was called to become its pastor. Pastor Eldridge’s emphasis on personal evangelism led to another period of steady growth.
In 1957, the church moved across the street to a larger building on East 7 Mile Road. After being in that building for only seven years, it was time to expand again. Another church had made an offer to buy the 7 Mile building, and the Lord graciously provided land for the new building. The church decided to make the change, and the entire ministry was moved to its current location on John R Road in Troy.
In this new location, the church followed Pastor Eldridge’s leadership to create a ministry that serves “from the cradle to the grave.” Bethany Christian School and Preschool were started to minister to the needs of the children. The church also assisted in the development of Bethany Villa to help meet the needs of the elderly.
In 1975, the church called Pastor Wesley Bliss (serving 1975-83). He was well known as a man of compassion and constantly encouraged the church to “keep on keeping on.” He also helped the church and school to be more connected than they had been, instilling a solid ministry focus in the education of the school.
In 1985, the church was again looking for a pastor, and after much searching, called Pastor Michael Harding (serving 1985-present). Under Pastor Harding’s leadership the church has seen great growth and we continue seeking to “take the word to the world.”